COMBINE # 7300 AND COACHES #7302 & #7303

These cars were used in commuter service on the CB&Q between Chicago and Aurora, Illinois. All three cars were originally built as 84-seat coaches (Class PB-19), by the American Car & Foundry, in November, 1916. In April and July, 1950 the cars were rebuilt in West Burlington, Iowa, to house a Cummins diesel and a 65 KW generator to supply head-end power to the Q's bi-level commuter trains. At the time of conversion, the seating capacity was reduced to 64 in #7302 and #7303 and to 46 in the #7300. Other modifications included a rounded roof, sealed windows, tight-lock couplers, roller-bearing trucks, and silver paint with shadow-lining. All 14 of the power cars were retired in 1974; the 7300, 7302, and 7303 were bought by Mr. Lavonne Bell.

Car #7300 (closest to the camera) was originally 84-seat coach #6100. It was one of only two cars to be rebuilt with a 12-foot baggage compartment between the generator room and the passengers; thus this combine (for "combination car") had less seating. It was donated to the museum in 1994. It was used on a Wichita, Tillman & Jackson (WTJ) "Santa Train," between Wichita Falls and Altus, Oklahoma, in 1998.

Car #7303 (second car in line) was originally 84-seat coach #6103. This car was donated to the museum by Mr. Lavonne Bell in 1994 and is named in his honor, commemorating his interest in preserving railroad history and his aid to the museum in building our collection. This car was also used on the 1998 WTJ "Santa Train."

Car #7302 (third car in line) was originally  84-seat coach #6102 and was donated to the museum in 1988. The museum named the car the Silver Falls in honor of the City of Wichita Falls. This car was used on "Santa Trains," jointly sponsored by the BNSF's Wichita Falls Terminal and the Museum, from 1994 to 1997, and in 1998 on the WTJ.

Return to the WFRRM Home Page.

Wichita Falls Railroad Museum